Does anyone watch the show Better Things on Hulu? I absolutely love it and have always loved everything Pamela Adlon. In the show she is always cooking up yummy meals for her family. I found her recipe on salon.com and it was delicious. I have a vegetarian chili recipe on this site and now I am including this one as my chili recipe with meat. However, she does say in her recipe that she sometimes uses fake meat so you can use that option if you choose.
Photo of Pamela Adlon and cast found on wuwm.com and Pamela Littky from FX is credited.
- 1 pound ground beef (or you can use fake meat or turkey)
- 1 big yellow onion, chopped
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes with the juice (smash them up when you add them to the pot)
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 3 cans (15 oz) kidney beans, drained (reserve some bean juice on the side, it’s Pamela’s secret weapon)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp fresh pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Scallions, chopped
- Sour cream
- Onion, chopped
In a large pot over medium heat add olive oil and cook the meat and onion, breaking up the meat as you go. Once the meat is cooked and onions have softened drain and excess fat and add all remaining ingredients, other than the toppings. Simmer for 30 minutes or longer. Continue to taste and adjust seasoning as you cook and add bean juice if needed for consistency.
Serve with toppings of you choice.