Happy Saturday! I made this dish last night and my daughter, her friend and myself really liked it; it has incredible flavor profiles. The recipe is from a cookbook my boss gifted me for Christmas. It is written by the Canadian Chef, Greta Podleski. Fun fact you may not know, my mom is Canadian and lives in Canada, however, I was born and raised a California girl. The book is titled Yum & Yummer and focuses on healthy recipes. I have made several recipes from this book but this is the one that truly stands out. It is vegan but we made it vegetarian by adding a dollop of sour cream as a garnish. There is a lot of spices. If you want to make it less spicy do not add the jalapeno and cayenne pepper. Its really easy to make.
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions (I used yellow)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 cups peeled, cubed sweet potato, uncooked
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1-14 oz can diced tomatoes, fire-roasted if you can find them
- 1 1/2 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup whole-kernel corn (thaw first is using frozen, I used fresh and cooked prior to measuring and adding)
- 2 to 3 TBS minced fresh cilantro
- Sliced avocados for garnish
Use a 10 inch skillet, non-stick with a lid. Heat oil in skillet and add onions, garlic and jalapeno. Cook until tender. Add sweet potatoes and all the spices. Mix well.
Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, broth and quinoa. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Stir in beans and corn, cover and let mixture stand off heat for 10 minutes (do not omit this step). Stir in cilantro just before serving. Garnish with avocado and sour cream if using.
One thought on “Quinoa & Sweet Potato Skillet Meal”
The quinoa, beans, and corn sound like a lovely combination.