I found this unusual chili recipe in the Jan 2003 issue of GQ magazine. Titled “A Big Bowl of Love” and it truly is. Article by Terry Sullivan; he says he received the recipe from his accountant, Liz. Thank you Liz!
- 1 or 2 slabs baby back ribs, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 large white onions, diced
- 1 large bunch celery, diced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cans (28 oz) whole tomatoes
- 1 can (28 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (40 oz) kidney beans, puree
- 1 palmful cocoa powder or 3 to 4 oz chocolate syrup
- 2 palmful chili powder
- 2 tsp each salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 8 to 10 shakes Worcestershire sauce
Partially precook ribs in a 450 degree oven for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, saute the onions and celery in olive oil for 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Cook for 30 minutes or so, then remove the ribs from the oven, pour off the grease, cut them into two-rib sections and add to the pot. Cook over medium heat for several hours stirring occasionally.