I am posting more vegetarian dishes because it seems as though my daughter is serious about this no meat business. Being a vegetarian myself for nine years, off and on, I understand where she is coming from and I am trying to make new dishes to keep her fed and healthy. Here is a good one for the summer that was found in Martha Stewart’s Living magazine.
- 8 oz penne pasta (recipe calls for whole wheat but you can use what ever you prefer of course)
- 8 oz green beans, trimmed and cut into thirds
- 8 oz wax beans, trimmed and cut into thirds
- 6 oz peas (1 1/4 cups) recipe calls for frozen but we used fresh from the Farmer’s Market
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced (2 TBS)
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated lime zest, plus 1 TBS fresh juice
- 1 cup packed cilantro, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water for 6 minutes, add beans, cook until pasta and beans are al dente, 4 to 5 more minutes. Add peas and immediately drain. Run cold water over pasta and vegetables until completely cool, drain and transfer to a bowl.
In a small skillet, heat oil, add garlic until golden, 1-2 minutes, Remove from heat and stir in lime zest and juice. Combine with pasta and salt and pepper to taste, toss cilantro in and serve or refrigerate.